Thursday, September 29, 2011

Random Recipe: Mozzarella, Mushroom, Basil, and Tomato Sandwiches

University has begun. Although I think I've mentioned this before.

And so with university having begun, the first signs of stress, sleepless nights, and reams and reams of paper start to appear.. (not to mention the ghosts of all those trees we seem to have killed while printing...)

And naturally, there is less time to do the things you really wish to do.. those include one's nails, watching a movie, spending hours in the kitchen, and cuddling up in bed with a book..

But sometimes, feeding oneself takes prominence over all other tasks and duties, and that is when you try and make something that you know you'll really enjoy eating.

I was so excited when I read about Dom's challenge for this month. It was to pick a random recipe from all your food related magazines and clippings and the like.. I have a little section on my bookshelf devoted to recipe related magazine clippings/magazines but to be honest with you, I've never made a recipe from any of them. That's why I was so glad when I read about this month's challenge because then I'd be able to explore something new out of all these recipes I had never tried.

The magazine I randomly picked was called "Soups and Sandwiches" by Fine Cooking. I bought it at JFK airport this April so that I could have some light reading/entertainment on the fifteen hour return flight (although traveling with 18 twenty year olds was much fun in itself.)

I like the idea of soups and sandwiches for dinner. It's light yet filling and hearty and is very convenient to eat. Since I've recently gone vegetarian (since the beginning of this month actually) I tried picking a random recipe from the vegetarian section of the magazine which was towards the end. I ended up with mozzarella, mushroom, basil, and tomato sandwiches which are very quick to prepare.

Recipe
Ingredients:
4 sandwich rolls/buns
1/4 cup mayo
1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
1 tbsp crushed garlic clove
basil leaves
1 cup button mushrooms, cooked
1 tomato, sliced
1/2 cup mozzarella cheese

Procedure:
Combine the mayo, cheese, and garlic in a bowl and evenly spread over both sides of cut sandwich rolls.
On the bottom half, layer mushrooms, mozzarella cheese, and tomato.
On the top half, place the basil leaves.
Sandwich together and lightly heat on a heated grill plate for 4-5 minutes until bread is lightly toasted.
Serve warm.

I had these with some tomato and capsicum soup.. the combination was amazing!

I hope I'm not past the posting deadline for this! >_< sorry if I am, Dom! :(

In other news, I just realized that this was my first savoury post of the month (and it's the end of the month!)
But I have made some nasi goreng, pasta, and grilled fish a few times.. all really good.. hoping to post up some of those recipes soon!

I also made macarons after doing much research on techniques. I now have two A4 pages full of tips and techniques that I've gathered while reading blogposts, watching videos, and reading cookbooks. Should I have a post on my macarons? "Dissecting the Macaron" as I'd like to call it..




Sorry about the picture quality! I didn't have a proper camera with me and these were about to be gobbled up in a second.. 

10 comments:

  1. just scraping the deadline there... but don't worry, it's still September!... and i'm so glad you made it because these sound so lovely and are completely different to anything else submitted, so fab stuff!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the combination of that sandwich with the soup. Hope the move to being a vegetarian is going smoothly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I'm Manu from Cookingmanu and I'm your partner for Dom's #9 Random Recipe.

    I've 18 books

    Waiting for your numbers so we can select the recipe.

    Please let me know if you're in.
    LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi I chose for you book n. 9
    LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi the recipe I chose for you is at page 100.
    My book has 288 pages!
    Have a nice evening

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi did you find the recipe I chose for you??
    Can you please let me know at which page I should open my book???
    Thanks!
    Have a nice
    day

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for your reply!
    I'm goign to chech my reciper when I'll be at home tonight.
    I don't think we have to swich our recipes, but we should send Dom an email telling him which recipe we have to cook.
    Have a nice day

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love just choosing a random recipe from a magazine or cookbook to make. This sounds like a great sandwich!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous16/1/13 17:22

    Hello there, You've done an incredible job. I'll definitelу digg іt and persοnally recommend to my frіendѕ.
    I'm sure they will be benefited from this website.
    Stop by my web-site ... pay day loans

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!