Friday, September 2, 2011

Chocolate Caramel Slice

I like the idea of making slices.
They're cute and dainty. They're not your usual cake, or your usual biscuit.. they're something it between. And the idea of it being triple layered is pretty cool.


I made these super quick chocolate caramel slices this morning. And when I attempted to photograph them outdoors the chocolate topping started to melt in the 45C+ degree weather.

Nonetheless, it's delicious. I kept munching on them as a I photographed....... oops...


Ingredients
0.5 cup plain flour
0.5 cup self raising flour
1 cup desiccated coconut
1 cup soft brown sugar
125g melted margarine
395g sweetened condensed milk
30g margarine, extra
2 tablespoons golden syrup
150g dark chocolate
3 tsp olive oil

Preheat the oven to 180C.
Grease and line a 20cm x 20cm baking dish.
In a bowl mix together the flours, desiccated coconut, sugar, and margarine.
Press into the base of the baking dish and smoothen the top with the back of a spoon.
Back for 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, place the sweetened condensed milk, golden syrup, and extra margarine in a saucepan and stir over medium heat until well incorporated and color is a medium golden brown- it should take around 10 minutes.
Take the baking dish out of the oven and pour the caramel mixture evenly on top.
Bake for 7 minutes or until just set.
Allow to cool slightly.
Melt the chocolate with the olive oil in a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water.
Once completely melted, pour over the caramel mixture and refrigerate for at least three hours.
 Before serving, cut into slices.




10 comments:

  1. Oh yum! Two of my favorite flavors in one bite! ::Drool::

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved every little morsel yamee!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooey and gooey- anythign with coconut and condensed milk has got my vote. Loooks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. sounds and looks delicious :)Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have absolutely been craving caramel slice lately!! Yours looks SO good! I love the thick layer of caramel...YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  6. mmm, it looks divine! Especially that flaky base!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh, they look so beautiful!
    I made lemon bars today for the first time. So we have something in common!

    ReplyDelete
  8. They look great - I love the fact that they're easy to make as well. I'm not so sure about the 45C heat, though - I think I might melt along with the topping.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hahaha! I know what it feels like to have your chocolate melt while trying to photograph it. Could be the story of my life right now.

    Looks good!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!