Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Mushroom, Leek, Basil, and Pine Nut Risotto

Lately, I've been going to the vegetable aisle in supermarkets to stare at it for inspiration. I did that yesterday at Waitrose and came up with this. It's really light and summery. Before that, I came up with a corn, asparagus, and capsicum risotto recipe but I can't exactly remember what else went into it.


I haven't used carnaroli rice much- only about twice before and twice now- and I find that it takes much longer to cook than arborio.


Ingredients
4 cups chicken stock + 2 cups water
2 tablespoons butter

1 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 medium sized leek, sliced thinly

1 cup carnaroli rice
0.5 cup button mushrooms, quartered
Freshly grated zest and juice of one lemon
3 tablespoons fresh basil
2 tablespoons pine nuts
30g parmigiano reggiano

Procedure
Put the stock and water to simmer on low heat.
In another pot, heat the butter until melted. Add onion, garlic, and leeks, stirring until translucent. Add the carnaroli rice and stir for 1 minute to lightly "toast" the rice. Add 1 cup of stock/water mixture and stir constantly until absorbed.
Add the mushrooms and one more cup of water and stir. Keep on stirring until almost all the water gets absorbed. Once water is absorbed, add another cup of water.
Check the rice once in a while to make sure it's cooked. If the rice is still not fully cooked and the water has run out, add some boiling water from the kettle and stir. Repeat the process until rice is fully cooked.
Remove from heat, stir in lemon zest and juice, basil, and pine nuts. Garnish with parmigiano reggiano.





5 comments:

  1. mmmm, i could have this for dinner!!!I loooove risotto and your recipe looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous28/6/11 18:32

    Your risotto looks just the right consistency - oozing but firm to the bite. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am dying to try this. Will definitely do so soon! Thanks, Sid. this looks and sounds really yummy, and with a that little butter and cheese quite healthy too. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've just had my supper but looking at this I'm feeling hungry all over again - I love a good risotto!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!